Thursday, October 18, 2012

4 Secrets To Have a Wildly Successful Blog


This week I received a question from a professional I highly respect.

"How do you have a successful blog?"  He asked.

I gave the following response, and while I was at it, I decided to include it in a blog post for you as well.

It is by perfecting these 4 things that makes successful blogs possible.

1. Purpose

You have to know why you have a blog. What are your trying to accomplish and who is your audience?  What value do you want to give your audience. Without value, it is hard to obtain reader loyalty.

2. Consistency

When you post blogs regularly on days your audience expects, they know when to look for your new ideas and posts. Being deliberate, purposeful and consistent increases popularity and it's a great habit to develop.

3. Be Interesting

If people fall asleep reading your words, you won't make the impression you're going for.  This is another place where I will emphasize the importance of value. What can you give people they can't get anywhere else?  Choose topics your audience can relate to, things that are important to them and that peak interest.  It's also a benefit to have titles that draw eyeballs.  It only takes one click for someone to decide they like you.

4. Have a Plan

Along with knowing the purpose of your blog, you've got to know what your goals are as well. Hobby writing or business writing? Do you want to be fairly anonymous or popular?  I'm always sure to have an idea of what I'll be doing for the next 60 days.  It keeps things fresh and moving forward in a direction I want it to go.  So long as you know what you'll be posting for the next couple weeks, it puts you in a better place to achieve your goals.