Thursday, September 29, 2011

Inspiration Comes From Friends, Dance, Dreams and Fainting Goats

Where does my inspiration come from?

I get this question all the time.  No one is talking about how I choreographed my latest zumba routine or where I found the words for that 'Thank You' card. Nope. People want to know about the corny, sexy, haunting, hilarious scenes from my stories and dialogue. 

It comes from you. Here's an example.

Yesterday, my friend Brandon, this brilliant scientist friend of mine, posted a segment on a student being freaked out by balloons.  That might be an understatement. More truthfully, PETRIFIED of balloons. 

I started thinking to myself, now that is far too interesting to just disappear in a segment. Obviously, it should be included in something so I never forget about it. 

According to Urban Dictionary (my #1 terminology reference guide)
Globophobia: "A persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of balloons, despite the understanding by the phobic individual and reassurance by others that there is no danger; a strong fear of, dislike of, or aversion to balloons."
I can't wait to include this little character development in one of my upcoming stories. 

I also find inspiration through a sense of humor and skill, intelligence and brilliance brought to life. Such as demonstrated by my friend, Sean Stephenson, below:
A little animal hilarity thrown into the mix...


The end result?  I have a balloon-fearing, motivational speaking, fainting-goat harvesting character by the name of Dennis who will appear in an upcoming novel. 

In this way, inspiration, similar to the death of a loved one, will go on forever.

Cheers to perspective,

Jessi